Greenwood History

Greenwood Elementary School opened its doors in the fall of 1955 for students in kindergarten through sixth grades.  Greenwood was recognized as a totally modern educational facility and the first exclusively elementary school in the city of River Falls in 1955.  Prior to the opening of Greenwood in 1955 the "lab school" at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, St. Bridget's Parish School, several rural schools and the River Falls Academy, formerly Meyer Middle School, served as the elementary schools for the city of River Falls.

The original Greenwood building included only the south section, which today houses our kindergarten, first grade, second grade and special education classes.  In the early 1960's the east wing was added to the building.  This wing today houses our music program, fourth grade, fifth grade and a number of offices and classrooms for specialists.  The third addition to Greenwood was in the early 1990's and included a north wing, which currently houses third grade, gym, media center, and remodeling of several classrooms and offices.  The most recent remodeling in the summer of 2013 relocated the main office, gave us a secure entrance, added air conditioning, and did extensive remodeling to the classrooms.  Today Greenwood has 18 regular education classrooms with numerous special education programs and corresponding classrooms.  Our current student population is slightly under 400 students.

Greenwood's first principal was Homer Kringle, who also served as a classroom teacher.  His office was designed with a connecting closet to his classroom.  This allowed Principal/classroom teacher Kringle to go back and forth between the office and his classroom.  Homer Kringle is credited with planting the beautiful flowering crab and maple trees, which are located in the front of the building.  Despite the criticism Homer Kringle received for planting the trees in Greenwoods early years, today they beautify our grounds and school during every season of the year.

Throughout the six decades of it's existence, Greenwood has been a safe, comforting place to learn for hundreds of students, teachers and parents who affectionately refer to it as "my school."  Greenwood Elementary School has served as a neighborhood school since the opening of Westside Elementary School in the early 1970's.  Greenwood serves as the "home school" for children living in the north and eastern portions of the community of River Falls.

Greenwood remains a wonderful school where children can "learn a lot, and have some fun."

 

  • Greenwood Elementary
  • 982 East Division Street, River Falls, WI 54022
  • Phone: 715-425-1810 | Fax: 715-425-0783
  • Email